2013/03/11

"The Swearing Grandmother"

 
 I could not go to Korea very often due to being so busy
but finally found some time in Korea...
It seems that I will not only be staying in Malaysia
 but to often go to Southeast Asian countries and Korea.

So I would like to share with everyone some information
and small daily events while I am temporarily staying in Korea.
 By information, I mean: visiting good restaurants and tourist information - the kind that only Koreans know and cannot be found in guidebooks - so expect some good stuff!

But! People differ in taste no matter how "good" a restaurant supposedly is,
so I will try to restrict how much I talk about the "taste" of certain foods.
 
 
Now I would like to introduce a good restaurant that I went to a short while back.
I found this place while I was checking out
 some leisurely scenery slightly outside the metropolis of Seoul.
 It is in Po Cheun-Si, Kyung Ki-Do - and a place where you can
really taste the skills of old Korean countryside grandmothers.
 The lady here must swear a lot, because the place is called "The Swearing Grandma".
 
 
The swearing lady's picture.
 
Anyway, I went in, prepared for the swearing,
but unfortunately, they said that the grandmother o
nly comes out in weekends due to her old age.
 If you would like to experience some friendly, old-style swearing,
you should visit during the weekends... haha
 
 
 It is a preserved old-style han-ok place with renovations only in some areas.
 
 
 


If you look around the insane,
you can see rooms with funny names and antique items.
 
 
 
 
To the right side of the entrance,
they sold Korean soybean paste and side dishes that I saw a lot of people buy.



The menu consists of just one thing: Ooguji meal.
 It is 6000 won for 1 person and those who want meat (barbecued bulgogi) or tofu
 can order them as extra.
Those who like vegetarian foods can just order
 the basic set (this does not cost extra).
The rice comes with barley mixed in it and the portions are enormous.
 With the exception fo the additional menu items,
they will give you free refills for side dishes and rice.



The food here is healthy fare from long ago,
 so it might not suit foreigners' tastes,
but vegetarians and strict Buddhist-style diners are sure to like them.
Having preserved the old style and tasty foods of old countryside grandmothers -
I would like to recommend this wonderful place to everyone.